No time to read? The most important facts and information summarized for you.

Read Summary
Estimated readtime: 5 minutes

“Climate-neutral” or “climate neutrality” as a phrase gets thrown around a lot but have you ever seen a company explain what this means? Is it continuing high carbon business as usual and paying for cheap carbon offsets to ‘neutralise’ these emissions? Or is it about doing everything within our control to cut emissions and using offsets to neutralise the emissions that are out of our control while we help our partners to decarbonise?

In this post, we thought we’d explain what we mean when we say our products are climate-neutral because communicating what we are doing and why we are doing it builds trust. Let’s dive in!

klimaneutralitaet-scopes-schaubild

98% of our emissions are within scope 3, which means we do not have direct control over them. The other 2% come from our internal emissions, which we have mostly full control over. 

Our Main Emission Sources

  • Component manufacturing facilities are located in Asia, with no direct contact due to supply chain complexity (China) (52%).
  • Transportation and distribution until our facilities – from the component production facilities to our assembly line (less than 1%).
  • Assembly line wastes treatment and management – Cardboard, scrap metals and other industrial waste (less than 1%).
  • Transport and distribution downstream – from our assembly line to customers) (less than 1%).
  • The use of our product (it counts also screens, keyboard and mouse for a Prime Mini, for example, as they are related to the energy consumption of our product) for a 5-year usage (46%)
  • The end-of-life treatment of the product (less than 1%).

Our Strategy for Reducing Scope 3 Emissions

Step 1, calculate emissions of each product and ‘offset’ these emissions through our carefully selected offset project (see below for details).

Step 2, work with our suppliers to identify low carbon alternatives to their current manufacturing process. For example, manufacturing metal components requires a lot of energy. We ask our suppliers where they source their electricity and whether it is certified as coming directly from a renewable source. 

Step 3, we regularly check in with our suppliers.

Step 4, we regularly search for the ‘low hanging fruit to suggest quick wins that enable our suppliers to reduce their emissions. We search for low-carbon manufacturing alternatives and recommend techniques and products where appropriate.

BillionTreeCampaign

Our products are climate neutral because we compensate for our products’ whole lifecycle GHG emissions by offsetting those emissions through a reforestation program in Peru. This project aims to develop sustainable agricultural practices to grow nuts, enabling the local population to have a healthy forest and a fair income. The holistic approach of the project contributes to the sustainable protection of approx. 300,000 hectares of rainforest and achieves a saving of approx. 2 million tons of Greenhouse gas emissions per year. 

But remember, not all carbon credits are created equally, so it is up to us to ask tough questions and ensure we’re using carbon offsets responsibly that prioritise decarbonisation over offsetting.

  • 98% of Prime Computer’s emissions are within scope 3, which means we do not have direct control over them.
  • The other 2% comes from internal emissions, which we have full control over. 
  • Prime Computer’s main emission source is linked with product manufacturing.
  • Just behind, the use of the hardware for the exemplary duration of 5 years of use contributes to 46% of the total emissions.
  • Prime Computer identified a 4-step-process to reduce its internal emissions.
  • We compensate the remaining emissions for our products’ whole lifecycle GHG emissions by offsetting those emissions through a reforestation program in Peru.
Nachhaltigkeit Berge Swiss Mountains

Go to sustainability calculator

Cookie Notice

This site uses cookies and third party technologies to provide and improve its services. Please confirm that you agree to the use of these technologies and the processing of your personal data for these purposes.

Accept Cookies Settings / Privacy Policy
Settings

The cookies used by this website are divided into two different categories. Necessary cookies are essential for the functionality of this website, while optional cookies help us to improve the user experience by adding features and analyzing user behavior. You can opt out of the use of optional cookies, which may result in limited functionality of this website.

Accept Cookies Accept necessary cookies Further information about cookies